Sunday, July 21, 2013

Decadent Chocolate Cake

I'm a sucker for Chocolate in all shapes and.. sizes. However, I wanted something  different. I had zucchini and bananas at home. While I don't mind using almond flours, I would much rather prefer to not overuse the nuts all too much. And I'm not much for coconutflour, I don't know why.. could be that it's not exactly cheap to begin with. Anyhows, this was an experiment. It's  better to bake this a day or so before you intend to devour it. But when you do, trust me, there is  no more a decadent, moist, dark, rich or heavier yet.. light.. cake than this.

Now for the recipe.. :)

Decadent Chocolate Cake

Set oven to 200C/approx. 392F.

Peel and grate 1 medium-sized zucchini. Transfer to  meshcloth and squeeze out the excess water (this will tire your hands, lol, but it's good excercise). Set aside.
Process 1/4 cup almonds together with 2 tbsp coconut oil.
Add 4 egg yokes (save the whites in  a bowl). Blend. While blending add 2 tsp vanilla extract (homemade is better).
Add the  grated zucchini to the eggs and almonds. Blend until all is smooth.
Chop a medium-sized banana, it doesn't matter if it's over ripe or ripe. Add and blend until all is smooth.
Add  the eggwhites. Blend.
Add 1 cup cacao powder. Blend.
Add 1.5 tsp bicarbonate. Blend.
Last but not least add in 1/3 cup honey. Blend.

This will be a rather liquidy batter, but that's good.

Transfer batter to a greased baking dish (I used coconut oil) and  bake for 25-30 minutes on middle shelf. Test with a toothpick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out dry then it's ready.

Let  cool in the baking pan and stand to set in the fridge to the day after.
Serve with whipped cream or icecream!




No comments: